A balanced diet is the cornerstone for optimal health, well-being and performance in all horses and ponies, yet many horses and ponies are short of essential nutrients. Forages are often short of essential minerals and vitamins and straight feeds are always short. Many horses and ponies do not require the full recommended amount of compound feed. Supplementing with PegaVite® balances the diet, making up for shortfalls and thus avoiding harmful deficiencies.
- All horses and ponies fed less than the recommended amount of compound feed e.g. those in good condition and/or on good grass
- All horses and ponies fed straight feeds e.g. oats, corn, barley, sugar beet
- All horses and ponies fed only forage
- Retired horses and ponies out at grass
- Working horses and ponies who are good doers and don’t need much compound feed
- Support healthy hooves and a shiny bloom to the coat*
- Support optimal performance in working horses and ponies*
- Support optimal immune function*
*In horses and ponies fed less than the recommended amount of compound feed
G PER DAY
SCOOPS PER DAY
Heavy horse (700kg and over)
100 - 200
2 - 4
Average horse (400 - 700kg)
75 - 150
1.5 - 3
Pony (up to 400kg)
50 - 100
1 - 2
A 3.5kg tub fed at 100g per day will last 35 days
A 6kg tub fed at 100g per day will last 60 days
A 9kg tub fed at 100g per day will last 90 days
1 x level 50ml scoop (enclosed) = 50g
Feed with plenty of forage e.g. grass or hay and ensure clean fresh water is always available. Feed at the full rates with straight feeds e.g. oats/barley or when no other compound feed is given. If other supplemented feeds are given e.g. compounds, then reduce the rate down to half. For best results split the recommended daily amount between two feeds
Calcium carbonate, Monocalcium phosphate, Sodium chloride, Ground micronised maize, Wheat feed, Magnesium oxide, trace elements and vitamins.
Crude protein 3.4%
Crude fibres 1.1%
Crude oils and fats 1.6%
Acid insoluble ash 2.9%
Crude ash 69.9%
NUTRITIONAL ADDITIVES: Iron 1,900 mg/kg (as 6,300mg ferrous sulphate monohydrate, E1), Manganese 3,300 mg/kg (as 5,300 mg manganous oxide, E5), Zinc 3,300mg/kg (as 4,500 mg zinc oxide, E6), Copper 1,000mg/kg (as 4,000mg copper sulphate, E4), Selenium 11mg/kg (as 500mg sodium selenite, (E8) and 400mg Selplex selenium yeast, (3b8.10)), Iodine 1mg/kg (as 20 mg calcium iodate anhydrous, E2).
Vitamin E rac-alpha tocopherol (3a700) 13,000mg/kg, Vitamin D3 (E671-Cholecalciferol) 48,000IU/kg, Vitamin A (3a672a-Retinyl acetate) 377,000IU/kg
Preservative: Calcium propionate (E282) 1mg/kg
Antioxidant: BHT (E321) 1,000mg/kg
Mixture of flavouring compounds
A mineral feed material for horses. Store in a cool, dry place. Replace lid securely to avoid deterioration of contents. Keep out of reach of children
PegaVite® is a balanced daily feed supplement for all horses and ponies - formulated by a leading equine nutritionist and manufactured at a food safe factory in the UK.
PegaVite® provides a balanced supply of 25 essential vitamins and minerals. It is a vital safety net to ensure your horse gets its full daily requirement of nutrients for health and vitality. Even minor shortfalls in nutrition can lead to poor performance and skin, coat and hoof problems.
Many horses and ponies are not fed the full recommended amount of compound feed, which means they will not be receiving all the essential vitamins and minerals missing from UK forage and therefore will not be receiving a balanced diet. A balanced diet – one that supplies all the essential nutrients required per day - is the absolute cornerstone of good health and performance.
Horses need to be fed a balanced diet before other health-promoting or therapeutic supplements are fed, because such products will not work optimally without the foundation of a well-balanced diet.
Horses do not have an innate ability to seek out a balanced diet, because they do prefer sweeter, more immature plant growth. Research studies have shown that, when given free choice, they prefer sweeter, mineral-unbalanced feeds compared to unsweetened, mineral-balanced feeds. In addition, UK grass - by its very nature - is short of the essential micro-minerals copper, zinc and selenium for horses. Furthermore, the preserving processes of making hay and haylage reduces micronutrients by causing losses of essential vitamins A and E.
Therefore, every horse or pony fed a forage-only diet or fed less than the full recommended amount of a compound feed should have a multi-vitamin and mineral product such as PegaVite® added to their daily diet.
- Vitamin A - essential for good eyesight, healthy skin, good immunity, bone growth and reproduction
- Vitamin D - essential for the body to be able to absorb, transport and utilise calcium; so crucial for bone health, and is essential for cell growth and differentiation
- Vitamin E – a powerful biological antioxidant, vital for many essential metabolic processes; particularly important for reproduction, healing and muscle function, and always short in grass hay and haylage
- Vitamin K – essential for blood clotting, bone metabolism, blood vessel health and brain function
- B vitamins – essential for energy metabolism; maintain healthy muscle and skin, promote cell growth and keep the horse’s immune system and nervous system functioning correctly
- Calcium and phosphorus - vital for healthy bones and teeth but must be in a ratio of greater than 1:1, or calcium deficiency will result. Calcium is also essential for muscle and nerve function, enzyme regulation and blood clotting. Phosphorus is essential for energy metabolism, and the production of protein and lipid compounds including genetic material
- Magnesium – essential for muscle and nervous tissue function; involved in enzyme activation, and bone and teeth structure • Iron – essential for oxygen transport, delivery and storage via red blood cells and in muscle myoglobin
- Copper and zinc - important for a variety of metabolic processes and structures and always short in UK forage. Copper is a component of enzymes, essential for iron function in oxygen delivery, healthy connective tissue, hair colour and healthy hoof formation. Zinc is a component of many enzymes, and essential for immune function, wound healing, protein synthesis, in genetic material, and healthy skin and hoof formation
- Iodine – essential for hormone production, growth and development
- Manganese – essential for nutrient metabolism and cartilage formation
- Selenium yeast - for enhanced bio-availability of selenium, which is essential for reproduction, growth, the immune system, enzyme and pancreatic function, and is a component of an important biological antioxidant
- Biotin – a B-complex vitamin, essential for energy metabolism and maintains sound hooves
Sodium and chlorine are included in PegaVite® at a basic level, but they should be added in the form of common salt (sodium chloride) depending on how hard a horse works; therefore sweats. Sodium and chlorine are not included in multi-vitamin and mineral supplements at the full required level because these are the two minerals the requirements of which will change on a daily basis, depending on how much the horse has sweated.
Potassium might be noticeable in its absence, but horse diets supply more than adequate potassium so it does not need to be supplemented to the normal daily diet. The exception is for horses undergoing prolonged moderate intensity endurance exercise, who – due to losses in sweat – require supplementation along with common salt (sodium chloride).
Signs of mineral/vitamin deficiency
Poor coat, pigment loss around the eyes (copper), lethargy, failure to come into season; eating soil and/or eating droppings. However, deficiencies can be present without any obvious signs, so an assessment of the diet is a more reliable solution compared to an assessment of the horse.
Plans to manufacture liquid PegaVite®?
PegaVite® is only available as a powder, because it is very difficult to stabilise such a rich abundance of so many vitamins and minerals within liquid. Some of the goodness of the vitamins and minerals can be destroyed by the chemical reaction that results when some minerals are combined in a water environment. The high concentrations of macro-minerals needed for a supplement of the quality and power of PegaVite® would make it probable that they would precipitate into a solid in the solution and therefore be wasted.
I bought a new horse in October who was six years old but only just broken, had lived out but sadly the owners clipped him to sell him, he wasvery thin with a huge tummy on him. He also had bad dandruff in his mane and scurvy in his coat.
I put him on the Pegavite and by Christmas time he has started to get a glow to his coat, the dandruff had gone and his tummy had tightened up.
I was so impressed with this product that I have now put other horses on it who all look great.
I would highly recommend this product as maintenance all round vitamin and also for horses that you want to give a bit of extra help to.
Once again I have been massively impressed by the quality of your products. I recently purchased a tub of the PegaVite for one of my horses who had come out of the winter a little dull and lack lustre in his coat condition, in agreement with my vet we decided that the best option was to supplement his diet with a multi-vitamin additive. Having experienced the high levels of active ingredients in your other products I thought the PegaVite may suit our requirements.
I was really impressed by the shear level and range of vitamins and minerals offered in this product, unlike most on the market this was without doubt the highest spec in its category. I am almost certain that it was because of this fact that the horse has picked up nicely and is getting his shine back!
What was equally impressive was how competitively priced the PegaVite is compared with its counter parts. So much so that my entire yard is now being fed PegaVite as a matter of course and those out at grass all year are looking especially well.