Raspberry for horses is best-known for its beneficial effects on pregnant mares and its ability to tackle the moodiness sometimes caused by hormonal fluctuations in pregnant mares and young fillies coming into season for the first time.
Dried raspberry leaves for horses also help replace vital nutrients lost during foaling. It is believed to continue working on the uterus in the weeks after labour, helping it to cleanse and tone and return to normal.
The extra calcium in raspberry leaf is thought to help regulate nerve response to pain during birth and also aid the development of the unborn foal’s bones. Experience indicates that feeding raspberry leaf during the last 45 days of pregnancy will help when it comes to the time to deliver.
Raspberry leaf contains:
- Trace minerals – including chromium, iron, manganese and zinc.
- Vitamins A, B, C and E
Raspberry leaf benefits for mares:
- Tackle moodiness caused by hormone fluctuations
- Aid the body in strengthening and toning uterus muscles ahead of delivery
- Help a mare produce good quantities of milk
- Support an unborn foal’s bone development